Primary School Sports Premium 16-17
Thornham St.James has been granted £8,900 from the government for the academic years 2015/16 and 2016/17. This funding is ring fenced and is to be used to improve provision and outcomes in Physical Education, School Sport and Physical Activity.
At Thornham St.James, we strongly believe all children should be aware of the importance of physical exercise and healthy lifestyles. To this end we have always delivered a range of sporting activities, but the additional funding has enabled us to increase this provision.
Schools have the freedom to choose how the money is spent. Over the course of the academic year 2015/16 the funding was used to provide the following in school:
- Crompton House primary Cluster Link – competitions against other schools organized and hosted by Crompton House (cost £200)
- Sports equipment and storage for outdoor playtimes (£500)
- OACT football sessions - an hour long, weekly after school football club for year 2 pupils to extend our extra curricular provision into KS1, alongside improving their football skills. (whole year £2,000)
- The employment of a fully qualified Sports Development Worker from Oldham Sports Development Service for one day per week. The coach delivered quality PE & Games lessons across the whole age range, which will help with the additional training of the school staff via the sharing of good practice, and provided plenty of enjoyment for the pupils. The coach was also involved in lunchtime and after-school sports based activities. (approximate cost £6,000).
- Failsworth Sports Partnership – entry to competitions and sporting events across Oldham. (£450)
In order to gain maximum impact from the funding, our ultimate aims are:
- Strengthening the knowledge and leadership of the PE/Sports leader in school in order that she can offer support and advice to colleagues and lead by example.
- Having greater confidence and understanding from teaching staff in school.
- Greater participation and enjoyment in physical activity from the majority of pupils in school.
- Greater physical activity and involvement from the children during lunchtime breaks.
- The provision of/participation in a wider range of after school and lunchtime clubs.
- Greater participation in competitive sports.
- Greater understanding from all pupils of how to keep themselves fit and healthy including the importance of exercise, sleep and healthy eating.
Due to the success of the different activities and initiatives in 2015-16, the intention is to continue with the same for 2016-17.
The following PE and/or sport provision is currently available at Thornham St.James:
- PE and sport curriculum lessons (all classes)
- Weekly swimming lessons (Y4)
- After school football sessions (Y5/Y6)
- After school netball club (Y5/Y6)
- Inter school competitions (football/athletics/rounders/cricket/cross country/tag rugby/hockey)
- Oldham Schools cross country events (x 6 sessions) - Saturday mornings
- Royton schools swimming league and swimming gala (KS2)
- Bikeability lessons (Y5)
- After school football sessions with OACT (Y2)
- Cross country training sessions at lunchtime prior to a cross country event.